From the DHS Office of Inspector General: Lack of Permanent Leadership Compounded DHS Challenges
A new Inspector General (OIG) report defined the most pressing challenges facing the third largest federal agency as:
- Managing Programs and Operations Effectively and Efficiently during times of Changes in Leadership, Vacancies, and Hiring Difficulties;
- Coordinating Efforts to Address the Sharp Increase in Migrants Seeking to Enter the United States through our Southern Border;
- Ensuring Cybersecurity in an Age When Confidentiality, Integrity, and the Availability of Information Technology Are Essential to Mission Operations;
- Ensuring Proper Financial Planning, Payments, and Internal Controls; and
- Improving FEMA’s Disaster Response and Recovery Efforts.