There are so many dimensions to this tragic event, I hardly know where to start. Readers have been helpful and have provided some citations. Here are just a few interesting aspects
- Philippines prepared for Typhoon Haiyan, but evacuation sites couldn’t withstand storm surges
- Why the Philippines Was not Ready for Typhoon Haiyan.
- Why Arab Presidents are Pledging Millions to Philippines.
- Storm Surge of 16 feet was a surprise to local officials.
- Application of Social Media:
- Emergency Access Initiative – free access to Medical Reference Resources from NIH
- Natural disasters threaten Philippine growth –
Every year, 20 typhoons hit the Philippines, a country also threatened by earthquakes and volcanos. These natural disasters have grave economic consequences
- Philippines Prepares for Future Disasters; No. 13
- Low Rate of Insurance Coverage in the Philippines
- Photos of the enormous destruction.
- Typhoon not entirely an “Act of God”
- Philippines is a victim of geography, poverty, and poor infrastructure